Secure Home & Auto Insurance Before Moving

All homeowners and renters should review their insurance policies before moving. People who are moving from a home and renting temporarily often overlook the importance of renter’s insurance at their new residence. Also, people may forget to update an auto policy after moving. Keep these tips in mind for an insured move.

Different State / Different Insurance

Renters or homeowners who move to a different state often assume that their insurance follows them. While some big insurance companies are licensed in all states, other smaller companies are not. Check with an agent about insurance at the new location before moving. Also, some states have different requirements for auto or home insurance policies.


Premiums are partially based on location. For example, someone who relocates to an area known for wildfires may have to pay more based on that hazard. A person who lives in a big city and moves to a different zip code will still need to update the policy and may have a slightly larger or smaller premium. Also, the features of the home itself play an important role in determining policy costs.


People who hire movers are usually encouraged to purchase insurance from the vendor if they lack adequate home or renter’s insurance. Moving companies usually offer it based on the weight of the moving load or a lump sum value. Most standard home and renter’s insurance policies cover a certain amount for damaged belongings in transit. Be sure to understand the deductible and how it works. When a moving company is towing a vehicle, owners must ensure that their auto coverage includes liability for damages in transit.

Understand DIY Provisions

Many people choose to rent a truck on moving day and enlist the help of friends. When this is the case, check to see if a personal auto policy covers the rental truck for liability. Many insurers do not offer this coverage, and some provide limited coverage with exclusions based on the size of a truck. Rental companies usually offer coverage for an extra fee. Also, be aware that anyone who is injured on the insured property on moving day could file a claim for medical costs.


Although some people prefer to rent out a home over selling it, they are not aware of changing coverage needs. Home insurance changes and only covers the landlord’s belongings such as appliances in addition to the structure and property. Also, it covers lost rental income if the dwelling becomes uninhabitable. There are limited liability provisions. These policies usually cost up to 25 percent more than what homeowners pay for insurance.

Home Inventory

Moving time is the perfect time to make note of any discarded or donated belongings of value. Also, add any new items of value to an insurance policy. Keep receipts or purchase records. Take photos of new or existing items of value in each room as well as general photos of the rooms and their contents. Keep in mind that furs, firearms, rare art and fine jewelry should be insured separately.

Wallace & Wallace

Wallace & Wallace is an independent insurance agency serving clients in D.C., Maryland and Virginia. If you have questions about home insurance, auto insurance or any other type of insurance contact us at 301.320.5800 or